Tuesday, October 17, 2017

The Friction Report 10.17.17


                The Friction Report 10.17.17
                                      Learn to be a thief   
                                                           by Don Ford

            I would like to begin this by saying, “I have never stolen anything from HWI or DIB”! Having said that, I did on occasion look for ways to steal from both.
            Do those statements seem to present a contradiction? Possibly, but both are true. After experiencing a couple situations where people were attempting to remove items without paying for them, I was told, “If you want to catch a thief, you need to think like a thief”! That statement stuck with me and occasionally I would think about and look for ways to steal. 
            There are many ways to acquire items without paying, and today we will point out two of them.
            This is a true story from years ago at Cape. Employees are allowed to purchase product from the company weekly. Employees would complete a hand written order and turn it in to the office. The orders were filled and placed on carts near the employee exit. At the end of that day, staff would pick up their order as they left the building. Even though a salaried employee was usually at the door as staff left, they did not check the orders for accuracy.
              
            A staff member told another staff member, “It would be easy to steal and not get caught, you just take an item and place it on the cart near the exit with the others. At the end of the day you pick up the item as you are leaving, no one checks what you are getting. 
            Later I was made aware that a certain employee, was going to steal some golf balls and golf gloves. I reported this to the manager who thanked me, and asked me to not say anything about this to anyone.
            At the end of the day, there was a salaried employee at the exit as usual, and the manager was outside the front door next to the exit. The employee picked up his items and walked out. The manager was waiting on him and brought him and the items back into the building. He was terminated. They began to check the employee orders after that.
            Everything that leaves the building must have written approval, always check everything that is leaving the building.

            Set an item outside a door and pick up after work.
            This situation happened but I did not let it become a theft termination. It was known by staff that nothing was to leave the building without and order or written permission. This included items that were in the trash.
            A staff member who was one of the older employees, and who had worked there for several years, took an item from a trash cart and placed it outside the receiving department door. This was reported to me. I was a supervisor at the time and I fully intended on waiting inside the receiving door and when I heard the employee pull up, I would step out and catch him taking the item.
            The bell rang and staff were exiting the building, and I was inside the door waiting on the employee. I had just enough time to consider what the results would be for this employee. An older employee, married with children and grandchildren. I knew this employee was not wanting to steal anything, and I assumed this employee thought, it would be ok to take an item out of the trash. I decided to step outside and bring the item back into the building before the employee arrived. I did here the employee’s vehicle drive up and leave.
            The next day I called this employee into my office and we had a frank discussion. He stated his point, that the item was in the trash and it was going to be thrown out. I explain that he could have, and would have been terminated if he had taken the item. He thought about that statement and then he thanked me for not letting him take the item. There was a note placed in the file about items in the trash.
            Everything that leaves the building must have written approval, always check everything that is leaving the building.

            You as a manager must be aware of the theft possibility. I believe you should terminate all thieves. I also believe you should consider the entire situation. If the staff member is intending to steal, terminate!

            More discussion of theft in following publications.


Don Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment