Wednesday, October 11, 2017

The Friction Report 10.11.17

               
                                          Follow up to posting of 08/09/17
      Observation and Communication
                                                              by Don Ford
            In response to a request from a reader, I am revisiting this subject.
            In this teaching moment, and I do see this as a teaching moment, you will likely assume I am touting my way of doing things. I am, and my way is the correct way.
            History:
            I am sure you would not be surprised to know, I have always been a visual learner. If the instructor presented a lesson showing and explaining the subject matter, I would learn and remember the information. If I were told to read a chapter, I had little chance of understanding the material. It is as if the first few words go away as I am reading other words.
            Now we know why I am good at observing settings, situations, and people.
            I am working from past memories, as many of today’s management teams have changed since my retirement. That being said, I believe that most of the management team members do not have the time to, do not have the patience to, or, do not want to take the time to observe. I would bet that many of these members of management consider themselves as observing during their daily routines.
            During their daily routine, managers and supervisors observe a select group of situations to understand the work flow. They may look at a computer screen to get a progress report. One knows that they are ahead, even, or behind, but not why, by looking at the report.
            One may go to the starting benches of various work areas to see how the work is progressing. While there, they may review each person’s production up to that point. They know someone’s production is better than another, but not why. 
            One may go into a work area and see a buildup of product (dept. getting behind) without knowing why. This manager may move an employee or two into the area to catch them up.
            All of the above situations require some review and some effort from the manager or supervisor, and I would say this is normal. I believe these managers and supervisors would tell you they do not have enough time during the day to, “waste time trying to observe”.
            I would say to these managers and supervisors to review their daily work routines and look for wasted time. There are many opportunities that one can find to save time, if only they look.
            If in fact supervisors and managers do not have any extra time, and there is no wasted time on the manager’s part, talking, making personal calls, taking extra time at break, thinking about a project at home, checking personal emails, waiting for a meeting to start, etc. then additional help is needed.
            What are the improvements that would occur, when members of the management teams, on a regular basis, begin to observe and talk with staff? I believe morale can be improved in major ways, if management will, on a regular basis, take the time to talk with staff during observation periods.
Attention: when talking to staff, it is often more beneficial for the staff member to talk with a manager, other than their own. An outsider will observe situations and receive comments that the usual manager will not, or an outsider will be more likely to listen to comments with more interest.
            Managers must share information they have learned, weather by observation or conversing! This at times is not comfortable, but necessary. 
            Allow me to say, management should use all their knowledge in the work setting, and they should learn from present day employees. That seems so simple doesn’t it, and it is, but how many do.  
            Can you, without fear of reprisal, communicate your observations and discussions to other managers? Managers of all levels should be able to honestly communicate with other managers. What does that manager know, if only they would tell you, and if only you would listen?

Regardless of who you are, or what level you are at, “You can, and should improve”!


Don Ford          
             

No comments:

Post a Comment