Thursday, August 10, 2017

Suggestion not taken 08.10.17

                This article will also be about one of my visits to a center as a Logistics Manager. Most of the General Managers had some type of college degree, I did not. I had taken some college classes but did not have the degree. The fact that someone has a higher education than others, does not mean they have more knowledge, talent, or experience and it does not mean they will take a suggestion.
                At one of the Centers I had noticed the General Manager did not go out into the center very often, and when he did he was always in a hurry. He would get on a scooter, ride to the person or place he needed to be, take care of business and ride back to the office. He spent most of his time in his office.
                After seeing this several times I offered a suggestion that he should, at least once each day, take 30 minutes and walk out in the center to visit with staff. Each time he should go to a different part of the center. This would help him to understand what his staff were thinking. He could possibly answer questions for staff before they become problems.  This General Manager quickly told me, “That is not my way of doing things”. Maybe it should have been...

Just because one has an advanced degree, does not mean one has all the answers.

Don Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment